Sorry about the extended radio silence. I’ve been doing LOTS of crafting, I just don’t seem to have had the time to post about it. Well, hopefully that’s going to change and as part of that I’m going to share some of the projects I’ve been getting on with since… wow the end of October, huh?
First up, Spinning!
The ouessant fleece has hit a road block, since I’ve found it is simply not in good enough condition to spin without carding it first, and despite continuously searching I haven’t yet got ahold of any carders – I keep bidding on them on Ebay, but those things get way too expensive way too fast, for what is essentially two pieces of wood with carding fabric attached! I now have another two fleeces in addition to the original two, with three more to come soon. They’re getting washed as soon as I get them, but I am EAGER to get on with things, so if anyone knows somewhere I can pick up some second-hand carders for under £20 please let me know.
Fortunately, I have been working on other spinning. First up, a lovely bit of spinning I did from some fibre my fiancé bought me for my birthday.
This is a wonderfully soft blend of shetland, corriedale and merino that mixes a variety of greys, black and purple for an overall rich, plummy colour. The fibre is 2-ply, around a light fingering weight after plying and for only 100g of fibre turned out to be quite a decent amount for knitting from. I was able to create a lovely pair of beaded ruffle cuffs and still have about 100 yards left over – not quite enough for another pair of cuffs, but I plan to spin up or purchase a complimentary grey or black fibre and make something stripey with the two.
The pattern I used is the excellent, and economical Spring Frills pattern on Ravelry. When I say economical, please note that this is an understatement. My finished skein measured around 265 yards and I have about 100 left. I got two very pretty frilly ruffle cuffs for just around 160 yards of fingering weight merino, which is frankly impressive. I could’ve made extra-long cuffs on these with the fibre I had and probably not run out before I was done. It’s a fantastic and very quick pattern, and it’d be a great go-to pattern for last minute gift knitting.
It’s really difficult to get pictures that show the colour variations accurately – the purple in the fibre is most on the red end of the spectrum, which can be difficult to photograph accurately. I took some in-progress pictures of the whole thing, though, and overall I think you get a pretty accurate idea of the colour blends. Of course, one of my cats had to make an appearance at some point. I really love being able to make something from scratch to this degree – spinning up fibre and then knitting with the resulting yarn. I get a real sense of achievement when I see the finished project at the end.