As well as battling with my ouessant fleece, I’ve been working on some other craft projects. I just got my craft corner set up properly in the bedroom, so have been making the most of having a decent workstation to do everything in. First up, my most recent finished project – a quick rainbow merino skein.
I was gifted a lovely sample pack of merino fibre in a whole rainbow of colours. I think the pack was meant for felters – certainly there wasn’t enough of any one colour to make anything with – but since I haven’t yet taken up felting, I decided to find other uses for it! The resulting skein is a single, spun from the fold, not predrafted, and worked out somewhere between a lace-weight and a light fingering.
I’m hoping the skein will be enough to make something like a lace cowl with, and am debating gifting it to my SIL, who also knits and who could probably make better use of something this gorgeous than me! My cats are less impressed with it, but that might just be because I posed it on them while they were trying to sleep so I could take cute pictures.
I’m also around 90% done with another gift for my SIL. Her daughters have outgrown their adorable old school uniform of purple and white jumpers and purple gingham dresses, and she asked me to make them each a keepsake poppet using the leftovers. The poppets are done (not pictured, the above poppet’s nose), and I’m just now working on patchwork quilts for the poppets to be put to bed in at night.
The girls each got to choose the pattern they wanted me to use for their poppets, and I’ve endeavoured to fit the school logo onto each poppet somewhere. These were really fun and satisfying to make – so much so that I’m debating starting up a business making them to order.
Another WIP I’m enjoying a lot is these little Yule decorations I’m working on. The first lot I’m doing are little hanging Santa/Tomte in felt. The little dude just above is the prototype, just made up plain so I could make sure the shape and appearance works with what I had planned. Below you can see the first batch in progress. I do need to streamline my technique so I can make them a bit faster than this, though.