Maybe it’s just bad luck, but it seemed like there was a serious shortage of qualifying free patterns this week. Fortunately, there were still some lovely patterns to choose from, so after much deliberating (and drafting this post but forgetting to actually publish it yesterday – oops!) here’s this week’s Freebie Friday!
Freebie Friday rules are a little different to Ravelry Monday rules, and are as follows:
- The pattern needs to be free.
- The pattern does not HAVE to be a Ravelry download, but must be listed on Ravelry.
- The pattern must have a photo clearly showing the item.
- The pattern still needs to produce a professional looking item and have the necessary information for potential makers.
- Clothing for adults must still be available in plus sizes.
- An item showcased on Freebie Friday may still be showcased on Ravelry Monday, if it fits the brief for that day.
So, without further faffing, here are my favourite free designs of the week!
Old Shale Shawl
This is a lovely, simple shawl design with an attractive scalloped lace section repeating through the body. It’s triangle shaped, knit in a warm, ample aran weight, and is available as a free Ravelry download.
Fair Isle Wrist Warmers
Sometimes you don’t want a pattern to knit up something large. Sometimes you have lots of little leftovers from other projects and just want to make something quick and pretty. The fair-isle knitting design on this delicate, feminine wristwarmer is very sweet, and a great stash-buster. The fine, fingering-weight pattern is available as a free Ravelry download.
Here’s something a little different. An unusual pair of fitted, DK-weight long armwarmers with a unique charted colourwork design. These look really different, and are available as a free Ravelry download.
Misty Mountains Scarf
Knitters release free patterns for all sorts of reasons. Some knitters like to release freebies simply because they enjoy sharing their designs. Others release free patterns to encourage people to like and enjoy their other, for-sale, work. And sometimes a knitter will come up with a really great design that ties in with their fandom. The Misty Mountains scarf is gorgeous, with Tolkein’s Elvish running along the length of it, and is available as a free Ravelry download.
That’s it for this week’s Freebie Fridays! Disagree with my selection? Come across a pattern since Friday 20th April that’s free, on Ravelry, and worthy of next week’s post? Tell me about it in the comments!
- Ravelry Mondays – Spring Shawl Edition (whippedstitches.wordpress.com)
- Unravelling Ravelry (didyoumakethat.wordpress.com)
- Freebie Fridays (whippedstitches.wordpress.com)
- Ravelry Mondays – Spring Cowl Edition (whippedstitches.wordpress.com)
- Things I Am Not Allowed to Knit Right Now (But Really Want To) (all-she-wants-to-do-is-knit.com)